Committed to Being Responsible Global Citizens
Throughout our history, we have learned that acting responsibly toward our stakeholders is fundamental to operating a productive, profitable business. It is for this reason that we embed environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles across our operations and pursue philanthropic initiatives that strengthen our foundations in the communities in which we do business. These efforts help us ensure that our business model is sustainable well into the future.
Our ESG Principles
As we pursue our value-related goals, the following principles and associated practices ensure that we manage our investments with integrity, balancing economic goals with good corporate citizenship.
Ensuring the Well-Being and Safety of Employees
- Employee Well-Being: Meet or exceed all applicable labor laws and standards in jurisdictions where we operate, which includes respecting human rights, offering competitive wages and implementing nondiscriminatory, fully inclusive hiring practices.
- Health & Safety: Aim to have zero serious safety incidents within our businesses by working towards implementing consistent health and safety principles across the organization.
Be Good Stewards in the Communities in Which We Operate
- Community Engagement: Engage with community groups that might be affected by our actions to ensure that their interests, safety and well-being are appropriately integrated into our decision-making.
- Philanthropy: Empower our employees to participate in — and use our resources to give back to — the communities in which we operate.
Mitigate the Impact of our Operations on the Environment
- Environmental Stewardship: Strive to minimize the environmental impact of our operations and improve our efficient use of resources over time.
Conduct Business According to the Highest Ethical and Legal/Regulatory Standards
- Governance, Ethics and Fairness: Operate with high ethical standards by conducting business activities in compliance with applicable legal and regulatory requirements, and with our Code of Business Conduct and Ethics.
- Transparency: Be accessible to our investors and stakeholders by being responsive to requests for information and timely in our communication.
With extensive experience as a business operator, we have developed expertise in areas such as energy and water conservation, reduction of greenhouse gas emissions, recycling and wildlife preservation. Across our businesses, we pursue innovative programs that foster environmental responsibility.
Because our employees are integral to our success, our management teams maintain high standards with respect to employee welfare. Safety training and protocols are constantly refined, and health and safety incident metrics are reviewed regularly. Our goal is to have zero serious safety incidents within all portfolio companies by following a set of health and safety principles that are applied across our global businesses.
We believe that building strong partnerships with local and national stakeholders is good business. To ensure our interests are aligned, we continually look to involve our local communities and other stakeholders in both our existing businesses and our new investments.
We believe that making a positive contribution to our local communities is a fundamental responsibility. Pacific has a history of deep involvement in philanthropy and we continually work to instill a culture of charitable giving and volunteerism among our employees and business partners.
Governance and Ethics
Upholding fair and effective business practices is a cornerstone of being a responsible global citizen. Across Pacific, we have adopted strong governance practices to ensure our activities are conducted with the utmost honesty and integrity and in full compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements. Pacific’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics sets out the commitments expected by Pacific. We believe this is critical to maintaining the confidence of our customers, investors and investees.
Pacific's Raising Concerns allows anyone to report anonymously (if they so choose) suspected unethical, illegal or unsafe behavior in English and other languages. Raising Concerns can be accessed online.
For more information about Pacific’s corporate governance practices, please visit our Corporate Governance page.